This is a soup that can be made, start to finish, in about 30 minutes. You can make it ahead and store it in the fridge in a sealed container. It is so delicious, it won’t last long. Hearty and filling, it’s almost sweet enough to count as dessert — but no guilt!
I made two batches, one with red-fleshed sweet potatoes (the huge ones with the wine-colored skins) often used for yam fries and one with yellow fleshed sweet potatoes (smaller brown skinned variety). The soup in the photo is a mixture of the two so don’t try to match the color — unless you also use some of each type like I did. There is no cream in my soup (lactose intolerant) and it was plenty “creamy” without it.
SWEET POTATO AND PEAR BLENDER SOUP
30 minutes start to finish
Makes 4 – 6 large servings
1 ¾ lb (4 med) sweet potatoes (brown-skinned, yellow flesh), peeled and cubed
2 c water
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 large pears, peeled and sliced
1 large white onion, chopped
2 Tbsp butter (or canola oil)
½ c white grape juice
¼ tsp white pepper
Optional: 2 – 4 Tbsp heavy cream/bowl (add to your bowl before eating or reheating)
- In a large pot, combine sweet potatoes, water, salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan (frying pan), cook and stir onions and pears over medium heat for 5 min’s or just until the onions are transparent. Don’t brown them. Stir into sweet potato mixture.
- Remove from heat, whisk in grape juice and cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and puree soup in batches; BE CAREFUL. Don’t fill blender more than 2/3 full and start on a lower speed setting (gradually increase speed) or you will have an explosion that can leave a huge mess and nasty burns.
- Before eating, stir in the cream and pepper and heat but DO NOT BOIL.
- This soup stores well in the fridge and can be enjoyed a bowl at a time. It can also be frozen.
2 thoughts on “Blender Soup in a Flash”
Oh Connie, It sounds delicious! I’ll let you know if I don’t mess it up.
FYI – one of the gals that signed up for me is making this soup and said she loves your site!